Search This Blog

Monday 2 February 2015

The Final Notch

The Final Notch

©Scott D. Wilson 2015

It should be clear to us all that success is not a destination but rather a choice and process.  In our journey of success there are moments that will forever mark our path. What follows here is some of my thoughts on such events.  I present them here to encourage those who strive for self-improvement.

In April 2013 I reached the last notch.  I was wearing 40 inch waist pants and they were tight. My leather belt was on its last notch. I vowed that I would not buy another belt or a larger pair of pants.

It was then an there that I returned to an application that I had discovered, LoseIt, with the intent to learn control of my food intake and improvement to my activity levels. I knew this was no diet. This was going to be a fundamental change to my relationship to food and exercise. I was no longer going to be a victim to my appetite. To those unfamiliar to such websites and applications, LoseIt.com is a company that helps people to count the calories in their food and to learn the energy burned by activity and exercise.

Fast forward to today. I have again reached the final notch. There are only 5 notch holes in my belt. They are about one inch apart. So I have moved 4 notches down or 4 inches. And the belt is getting loose. I am 'only' down 25 pounds. I am now below 20% body fat. I can run up 3 office flights of stairs without being winded. I fluctuate a bit but I am consistently down. I lost weight this past December. I eat whatever I desire as long as it meets my budget. To me, this is true freedom.

Do I want to lose another 20 pounds?  Yep, eventually. For now, I am happy to have a new problem. I guess I need a new belt soon and I need to replace some pants. I am keeping this belt though. It will serve as my dual reminder of hitting 'the last notch.'

Would I say my journey towards better health has been successful?  Yes, and the owners of LoseIt must believe this too because they have made me a moderator on their site so I can help others on their own journeys. It is my hope that all folks seeking to lose weight and improve their health will soon share my particular belt 'problem.'

Whether it is weight, health, fame, fotune or any noble goal it is important to reach that final notch. Whether starting out or nearing the destintion I hope that you have all reached your own 'last notch.'  I applaud you regardless of which 'last notch' it is!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment