Search This Blog

Thursday 3 September 2015

Wonderlust

Wonderlust
©Scott D. Wilson 2015

I have said elsewhere that I was blessed to have found a friend that I can call my mentor. The times we have spent together have been golden and I have been forever enriched. One statement that my friend is fond of repeating is "Read it again for the first time."  It is a wonderful paradox, and it has been the source of so many incredible personal revelations. 

The Zen Buddhists and Japanese martial artists seek a state of mind called 'shoshin' meaning the "beginners's mind."  It refers to an attitude and view marked by eagerness, openness and without prejudice or preconception. This is the way an avid novice approaches a new activity or subject of study. It is a view full of limitless possibilities.

As we grow and experience life we accumulate knowledge and wisdom.  By necessity, we often must accept much of what comes to us as it is presented. We rarely question interpretations or understanding. For these reasons we also tend to accumulate prejudices and preconceptions. We believe that we are becoming experts about life and reality.

We think that we hold *the* truth.  By believing this error and accepting much of what others have told us we ironically grow in ignorance and folly.  We gradually lose our questioning mind and attitude. We similarly become more and more defensive of our views and truths because anything that contradicts them threatens our understanding and reveals our possible ignorance and error. Fear displaces wonder. 

There are other consequences. Sadly, we become increasingly jaded by life. It all becomes "Been there. Done that."  We lose the sense of amazement and excitement that children have when they experience something for the first time. It is this 'wonder' that is lacking so much in the lives of so many! We rob ourselves of the joy of learning.

The Zen folks have another term they use in conjunction with 'shoshin.' It is the phrase "new eyes."  They, like my mentor, encourage us to look at life again... for the first time. There is so much that we miss in this world because we do not indulge our natural sense of wonder and curiosity. I have discovered so much by simply pensively questioning my own views and the 'truths' of those who moulded my life... to again ask "Why?" and to ponder the possibilities.

And so I currently lust to regain much of my childlike sense of wonder!  I yearn to see this universe with new eyes. I seek to discover what I thought I knew. It is not always comfortable. That I will admit. It is often humbling, realizing how little I truly know and understand. I can tell you that it has been worth it though! You will find some irrefutable and unquestionable truths that will lead you on paths of amazement and discovery.  And thus I similarly encourage you all in your own wonderlust!

No comments:

Post a Comment