Search This Blog

Wednesday 23 July 2014

The Gift of Thanks

The Gift of Thanks

©Scott D. Wilson 2014

"Make it a habit to tell people thank you. To express your appreciation, sincerely and without the expectation of anything in return. Truly appreciate those around you, and you'll soon find many others around you. Truly appreciate life, and you'll find that you have more of it." — Ralph Marston

On Christmas of 2012 I did something that guys normally don't do. I was creative, sensitive and unconventional. As usual, I was struggling to figure out what I could give my mother as a gift. She is in her late 70’s and she really has everything that she needs. I could neither find nor think of anything fun or interesting that she might enjoy.

And then an idea hit me: A Gratitude Jar. I figured that every one of us owes so much to this world that there is no real way to pay it forward; we are truly always paying back. So much more is this the case with our parents and family. My mother has given me so much. She is a huge part of who I am. Even if I began now, I could never really thank her for everything that she has given to and done for me.

So I thought I’d at least take a shot at thanking her for some of the best times in my life. First, I went out and found a nice cookie jar. Next, I went on my computer and generated a bunch of small cards printed on 8.5” x 11” sheets that started with “Thank you…” and ended “Love, Scott” printed in elegant fonts.

Finally, I went to work filling in the words in between. I wrote of big events and small. I wrote whatever came to my mind. Here are some examples:

Thank you… for believing in me.
Thank you… for all the times you took care of me while I was sick.
Thank you… for always loving me no matter what.
Thank you… for reading “Are you my mother?” to me over and over and over.
Thank you… for teaching me to dance to my own tune and that it is alright to colour my pumpkins purple.
Thank you… for letting me make my own mistakes.

Once I had generated several pages all I had to do was print them out, cut them out and put them in the jar. I even gave her some blank templates for others to fill in and drop in her jar. I labelled my jar and wrapped it up.

How did it go? Well, long story short, my mom really liked the gift. She spent quite a bit of time reading through them. I felt better just letting her know directly how much she meant and means in so many ways.

Today, I find myself thinking about unsaid ‘thank-you’s’. How many times have I forgotten or neglected to say a proper thank-you? I know what it feels like to be taken for granted and I know how it feels when someone makes a show of gratitude. My unspoken thanks feel like debts that I owe and I know that I can do better. Today, I think I will ponder on some of those debts and repay them, if I can: with a call, an e-mail, a note or any small way that I am able. It is quite truly the least that I can do.

And so...

To all of you who have encouraged me here on-line... thank you! You have made this journey just that much more enriching!

Please, be happy! Be grateful! We live in rich and bountiful countries! We owe so much to so many and returning thanks merely pays a pittance of our debt!

No comments:

Post a Comment